Our children have never known a phone that wasn’t smart or a world that wasn’t connected 24/7. There is no one size fits all approach to raising children in the digital age. Do these challenges sound familiar?
- Are screens and devices controlling you and your family?
- Are you at a loss for how to get your child to self-regulate, and look up from a screen?
- Have friends or family members red flagged some inappropriate “insta selfies” of your child that caught you by surprise?
- Does technology use prevent you or your kids from getting enough sleep or exercise?
- Does screen time ever result in “text neck”, eye strain or headaches?
- Are you worried your teen or tween may be addicted to their smartphone?
- Do you fear your child may be up all night texting, snapping or tweeting?
- Has cyber-bullying been a challenge for your child?
- Does your son or daughter ever feel socially isolated due to digital drama?
- Do you have daily battles about when and how to use devices in your family?
- Does digital distraction get in the way of health, exercise and family time?
If you answered yes to any of the above, you are not alone. Wellspring therapists are here to help teens, tweens and families navigate the challenges that come with engaging in the complex world of social and digital media. Our therapists are trained to help you and your child collaborate to develop the tools and strategies that allow for a healthy media balance. If you or your child is unable to self-regulate, put down the phone, and unplug, we can help you integrate technology into everyday life in a way that enhances and strengthens relationships and fosters positive connections.
If you decide to move forward with therapy after an initial consultation, your clinician will work with you to develop an appropriate course of treatment. Therapy may be a brief process of several sessions to deal with an immediate issue, or it may be a more extended process to deal with more complicated or entrenched patterns of technology use that interfere with day to day functioning.